Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Perfect Portions

Last month we found out that our daughter is allergic to soy.  While her allergy is mild, we have found that cutting soy greatly reduces her allergic reaction to our cats.  Therefore, until we find homes for our cats, she will be without soy always.


With this new found knowledge came a whole new world of challenges:

First was realizing that most processed foods have some form of soy in them.

Second was finding out that there may very well be soy in something, but the manufacturer doesn't have to report it because it is a certain form or a small enough amount that the law doesn't require it.

Third was realizing that even the butter we buy has soy in the hidden form of "natural flavors."

Fourth was coming to the conclusion that the only way to be sure she didn't consume soy was to make her food ourselves.


A short time after that, I concluded from hours upon hours of research that we as a family needed to change our eating habits.  I have certain medical conditions that normally require a great deal of prescriptions and semi monthly doctor visits, but we don't have insurance.  Therefore, I have gone without knowing that it could be detrimental to my health and I have suffered a great deal because of it.  However, I do not WANT to be on medications and I do not want to rely on doctors that took immensely longer to figure out what I had than it took me.  (Seriously, I told my doctor what I had and he dismissed it.  My other doctor diagnosed me after reading 1 test result!)

After a lot of thought and research, I found that changing our diet to be organic, raw and whole foods was actually doable within a reasonable budget.  I will have to join several co-ops within my local area (I'm actually very excited to get involved with other people who are as passionate about good eating as I am).  I will also have to obtain several different types of kitchen tools/ equipment that I don't own.  But when you get down to it, I CAN DO THIS!

(BTW, our whole house is starting an 8 week sugar detox next week.  Check back for updates on how we cope with our new found fountain of health!)

I'm viewing these circumstances as God pushing me closer to the simple homestead lifestyle that I've longed for.  What a blessing it is to have your desires confirmed by God's direction and divine intervention in your life!

The first step for us was to purchase a freezer.  With Ali being allergic to soy, we no longer have the option to "go get something quick" if I'm busy or sick.  My husband doesn't cook, so the burden falls on me to always do it.  I don't mind, but I have to plan for the inevitable sick day!

So I search Craigslist like a mad woman, day after day.  I had hoped to only spend $50, but I began to lose hope.  Then, last Sunday, I saw an ad for a deep freezer for $50!  I told my husband and text the number and planned to go pick up the freezer the following evening.  Well, as my days have been lately, my plan got ambushed by last minute work schedule changes and I was without a truck, a lifting helper, and childcare.  A dear friend lent me her husband, his truck and by the grace of God my hubby got home in time to watch our daughter.  We drove clear across town, purchased a $500 freezer for $50 and praised the Lord for His blessing.

Now all I have to do is fill it up!  That's what this post is all about!

I spent the past several days sprouting some pintos and cooking them up :-)  If I keep them in the fridge, they'll spoil before we use them up so I devised a plan!  I put my beans in a nifty silicone mini loaf pan.
 
Then I put them in the freezer over night and removed them.  You see, one mini loaf pan is the same amount that I typically use to make refried beans for burritos!  How perfect is that!
 
Then I just popped them out and put them into a labeled freezer bag!
 
Now they have been added to my deep freezer!  Yay!  I will also be doing this with soups and stocks.  The size is about the same size as a standard can, so it's the perfect portion for individual servings! 

How do you prepare for the inevitable sick or busy days?


No comments:

Post a Comment