Saturday, September 29, 2012

Sugar Detox Week 4: No Refined Sugars

Suddenly I feel like my titles are very negative.  I considered changing them to be positive (like the ebook I got this detox from), but I decided that I like to be different.  Sometimes doing what is good for us, just isn't a lot of fun.  Well, at least not the kind of fun we're used to.

I think it's safe to say that no one likes all change.  I for one enjoy moving, redecorating, shopping for a new wardrobe, but I don't like changing my patterns.  That is for sure!  This process that my kitchen is going through has required me to embrace the stores I once hated and hate the stores I once embraced.

I once despised "health food" stores because of their ridiculously high prices on items that I could buy elsewhere and their lack of brand options.  For example: I can't buy Rapadura at Trader Joe's.  All they have is Trader Joe's brand turbinado.  If I'm going to pay the same price, I want Rapadura.  Now, I drive a minimum of 10 miles one way just to go grocery shopping at these stores.  I have an even better understanding of the role certain chemicals, pesticides, etc. play in my current health problems now, so I'll make the drive and spend the money and it's all for good health.

I once LOVED Wal-Mart simply because I could "price match" everything and only go to one store.  Now, I only go there if I couldn't find it at the "healthier" store and I absolutely have to get it.  It is also right down the street from my house.  In fact the 2 closest grocery stores to me are both Wal-Marts!

I'm also purchasing groceries through coops and online grocery companies now.  I never wanted to do those things before simply because I didn't want to schedule my day around picking up groceries.  Now, I have all the time in the world to wait for a semi truck and unload it for my groceries.

That said, now down to this week's change.  This week we cut out refined sugars.  That meant that my husband switched to Rapadura in his coffee and tea (I already switched) and I used a lot more money's worth of sugar in my pancakes.

My husband was so good too!  He took his OWN sugar to his men's group because he knew there would be coffee.  Such a proud moment!  And on top of that, I drank coffee without sugar at IHOP because I forgot to bring my own.  On top of that, I had them give me milk for my coffee.  Have you ever read the ingredients in those non-dairy creamers?  They have water, corn syrup, a bunch of sodium somethings, vegetable oil and at the very end is says it contains soy and milk.  Milk?  In a non-dairy creamer?  Ok, that's another issue all together.

Next week (a.k.a. tomorrow) we start week 5 of our detox.  Week 5 begins 'No Quickbreads'.  That even includes crackers.  It's basically any bread that doesn't use yeast (or sourdough).  It doesn't specify if tortillas are included in that, but we are going to keep them simply because I doubt my husband can go a month without "Mexican" food.

In honor of our next step in the detox we had pancakes for dinner.  I know, what a bad mommy!  But let me just tell you that these are awesome pancakes!  Whole wheat and made with Rapadura.  My daughter and I enjoy topping them with raw butter and homemade jam made with honey!  This recipe is so good that I'm going to share it even though it isn't soaked or sprouted.  You could totally try making it with sprouted flour, I just didn't want our last pancakes for a month to turn out funny.  We wanted to enjoy every last bite ;-)

Whole Wheat Pancakes
Makes 6-8 servings (I make a half batch for our little family and we have extras)
Dry Ingredients
2 c. Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/3 c. Sugar (I use Rapadura, in case you didn't notice. LOL)
1/2 tsp. Salt
Wet Ingredients
2 1/2 c. Milk
2 Eggs
1 Tbl. Vanilla
2 Tbl. Oil/ Melted butter (I like coconut oil)
Instructions
Whisk dry ingredients together.  Whisk wet ingredients together separately.  Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir just until mixed.  Pour onto a preheated pan.  Oil your pan first if needed (I use a seasoned stainless steel pan, so I don't need oil).  Flip when bubbles begin to appear on the wet surface.  Let cook about half as long as the other side took.

My husband enjoys topping these with butter and maple syrup.  My daughter and I eat them with butter and jam.  They are actually so sweet that I like to just eat them as is as a quick snack (kind of like a cookie!)

Anyone else making changes lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment