Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sugar Detox Week 5: No Quickbreads

So far, we've cut HFCS, refined flours, desserts, and refined sugars.  This week we cut out quick breads.  That basically means any bread that is made without yeast including breakfast breads, muffins, cereals, and even crackers.

The author of this ebook we got this detox from didn't specify tortillas in this section and I think it is supposed to be included in it, but my husband is Mexican and would have a conniption fit if I cut tacos and burritos out for a month.  In his family, they eat tortillas the same way my family ate sandwich bread.

Anyways, this week hasn't been too difficult.  The hardest part of this week has been dealing with my "hormonal" cravings.  I gotta say, all I've wanted for the past few days is a very big rich chocolate brownie.  Ugh!  I seem to be meandering through my kitchen every hour or so looking for something to satisfy my sweet craving.  The only thing that I seem to be able to find is some homemade applesauce.

About a week and a half ago I took my daughter to pick some apples at our local orchard.  They had granny smiths and jonagolds, so we got both kinds.  I took them home unsure of what exactly I wanted to do with 10 lbs of apples, but I decided pretty quickly to make applesauce.

Here's my recipe for healthy craving killer applesauce:

10 lbs apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
2 cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla bean (cut down the center)

Put everything into a pot and add about 1 cup of water.  Let it simmer for 3-4 hours while stirring occasionally.  Remove the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean.  Mash the apples or you could run it through a food processor in batches if you like it pureed.  This yields about 3 1/2 pints of applesauce.  The vanilla and cinnamon compliment each other very well.  There will be specks of vanilla throughout and it tastes almost like apple pie filling, but with NO SUGAR!

Next time, I think I won't mash the apples and I'll make it into a filling to top with granola.  Yum!

What healthy alternative do you use to control your bad food cravings?

No comments:

Post a Comment